Profile: Susie Dooley, Volunteer Coordinator (with Myrla at 2019 Calgary Volunteer Fair)
I joined YouQuest in January 2019 after hearing about the charity at a speaker series on dementia at the Calgary Public Library. People are intrigued by my volunteer work at YouQuest; they are also surprised that we have participants that are well under 60 years of age. They want to know more about what we do and to understand the challenges and struggles families face.
I value my involvement with YouQuest because it is an interesting learning experience. We have a welcoming team of volunteers and recreation therapists that are committed to improving the lives of everyone within the YouQuest family. There is great understanding and compassion for the participants and their families, and deep appreciation for the efforts of our dedicated volunteers.
Why volunteer with YouQuest?
We are growing and welcoming new volunteers to help us improve the quality of life for younger people with dementia. YouQuest volunteers come from all walks of life and help us both onsite and/or behind the scenes supporting our participant families. Training is provided; on-site shifts are 3+ hours and flexible to individual schedules. Off-site committees working to sustain and expand YouQuest services will benefit from your insights and expertise.
Wondering how you can make a difference?
Here’s a snapshot of our on-site volunteers who help in many ways:
- making an immediate and lasting impact on younger people with dementia
- helping reduce isolation and improve the health of care partners
- reducing the stigma of dementia in the community
- actively participating in fitness options and community trips around Calgary and area
- enjoying a hot lunch, healthy snacks, and live music with participants
- learning and sharing with our team how to help support each individual
Whether you are a post-secondary student, a community member or an interested professional, we invite you to volunteer. Please apply on our website and we will be in touch.